segmentation of a network, and implementing appropriate ruleset, we can divide a network into a multi-layer attack parameter that prevents threat agents/actions from reaching our hardened systems.
Network segmentation has been a “set it and forget it” effort, which once done is almost immediately out of date. But network segmentation needs to be managed, and policies continuously enforced to maintain the desired network segmentation, and this is where we come into the picture.
At Certcube, we see customers with hundreds of firewalls, routers, and switches across their network, each on average having hundreds of rules per device. A typical company needs to apply thousands of controls when segmenting its networks to maintain security and compliance.
By hardening routers and switches, it will make much more difficult for intruders to pentest the infrastructure segments of your enterprise. Routers and switches are usually the most overlooked network components concerning Data Security. Most people think cyber security is only related to firewalls, IDS, IPS, VPN’s, monitoring systems, and security policies. By hardening & reviewing your routers and switches, we can help you prevent the following:
- Giving criminals information around your network so they can design a strong attack.
- Accidental or intentional reconfiguration.
- Using networking components to launch further attacks.
Without sufficient defenses, monitoring, and auditing, router and switch compromises will go undetected.
Which Routers And Switches To Protect?
- Border routers that connect your company to the Internet
- Switches that are used in the DMZ and screened subnets outside the firewall
- Routers and switches that are connected to internal trusted or secure networks
- Routers and switches that perform packet filtering
User productivity and network adaptability are important for business growth and success. VLANs make it easier to design a network to support the goals of an organization. The primary benefits of using VLANs are as follows:
- Security: Groups that have sensitive data are separated from the rest of the network, decreasing the chances of confidential information breaches.
- Cost reduction: Cost savings result from reduced need for expensive network upgrades and more efficient use of existing bandwidth and uplinks.
- Better performance: Dividing flat Layer 2 networks into multiple logical workgroups (broadcast domains) reduces unnecessary traffic on the network and boosts performance.
- Shrink broadcast domains: Dividing a network into VLANs reduces the number of devices in the broadcast domain.
- Improved IT staff efficiency:
- Simpler project and application management: VLANs aggregate users and network devices to support business or geographic requirements..
We also do implement additional security features i.e. TAC+ or Clearbox to provide access control for network devices through the use of one or more centralized servers. It provides separate authentication, authorization and accounting services over TCP and use of TAC+ or Clearbox for system authentication with separate authorization privileges to control the level of access each person has to the device